Sunday 2 November 2014

Halloween in España

Halloween in Spain is celebrated in a pretty similar fashion to England, kids dress up, go trick or treating and eat lots of sweets and adults don a costume for a good old piss-up.  This is the part that differs from England.  You think England can party? Think England can handle a few bevvies? Ohhhh no, fiestas in Spain are a whole other kettle of fish.




This Week At School


Me (front row as a witch) with Year 5, the head teacher and P.E teacher


This whole week at school has been very Halloween-centric.  For the English lessons I prepared a Halloween worksheet for Year 6 and found a song to help all the kids learn some Halloween vocab and also prepositions such as 'under/on/beside/outside.'  If you are interested then HERE is the song and HERE is the worksheet.

In arts and crafts with the younger pupils we made bats on strings, huge coloured skeletons and pumpkins (as in my last blog) which were used to decorate the school along with other crafts made by the kids.

On the day of Halloween they had no lessons, instead they all dressed up along with the teachers (who made a terrific effort!) and played games including Wink Murder (which I suggested), a dance with a broom and a game they learned that had an English 'Trick or Treat' chant.  They all decided that Wink Murder was their favourite game! In the afternoon the kids watched films.

Also this week, year 6 went for an English breakfast in Benidorm (sooo readily available of course) and I was invited to join which, obviously, I accepted immediately.  I cannot resist a full English even if the Spanish tea that comes with is weird and not comparable to Tetley's or PG Tips.  


Here I am, scranning as per.  Look how happy I am man, sausage and egg got me like... ^

Travels

This weekend I went to Alicante to stay with Anna and spent Halloween with her.  We dressed as cats (original) because we have no fancy dress here even though we are usually fancy dress pros at uni back home.


In Spain everyone goes out wayyy later than at home, so we caught the bus into town at 20 past midnight and it was PACKED.  We were literally crammed in like Halloween sardines, this photo doesn't even describe how many people were on the bus.

When we got to our destination, an area called 'El Barrio' there was a huge amount of people, half dressed up half not and we made our way to meet Irene and her friends, a girl Anna knows through a teacher at her school.  They took us to a bar which we struggled in a gaggle of people to get into for about 20 minutes but it was all worth it as they sold cubalitros (pretty much a litre of vodka and mixer) for only 3 euro!!!!! Two (or three, or four?) of them and I was well on my way to being THIS cat:


Irene told us we would go to a club called La Quinta - but the club didn't even open til 3am! I mean, to me this is crazy, at home the clubs shut at 3 and I'm in bed by 4 but ohhhh no.  Anna and I eventually returned to her abode no earlier than 6am.  6 AM! EN LA MAÑANA.  We pretty much died in bed all the the next day, not actually moving til about 4pm. The end.


Beth xx






1 comment:

  1. Haha I love it! I also love that you've finished it with 'the end' ;) x

    ReplyDelete