Monday 15 September 2014

Hola Marineros!

Hola Marineros!

¿Hola marinero, dónde está el caballo?  

If you're a Spanish speaker, you're probably thinking I'm nuts, but no,  this is the only thing my mam knows how to say in Spanish and she thinks it's brilliant.  I'm not sure where she picked it up but throughout school she insisted on saying it to all my Spanish exchange partners and anyone Spanish she's ever met, and is always met with a strange blank stare that I all-too-well know means 'was that what she meant to say?'  For anyone who's not sure, it means 'hello sailor, where is your horse?' - a nonsensical phrase, and the inspiration for the name of my blog!  So with no further ado...

 Welcome to my blog!

My name is Beth, I'm 20 and this year I'm off to live in Spain!  I'm going as part of my university degree to be an auxiliar de conversación or English language assistant in a Primary school in Spain.  Right now you're probably thinking 'Wow! Sun, sea, sand, tapas, flamenco, cultural and linguistic immersion!'  Well... yes to the sun, sea, sand and tapas, flamenco's not exactly my thing but as far as the cultural and linguistic immersion goes - I'll try my best.  

I'm going to be living in Benidorm (yes, the actual Benidorm, yes, blackpool abroad, yes, that place where they filmed 'Benidorm' with Johnny Vegas and that old incredibly tanned and wrinkly woman on a motor scooter.)  So it's fair to say I'm worried about how I will truly get involved in the Spanish community and lifestyle and improve my Spanish whilst living in arguably the most British place in Spain!  I'm sure it will be an experience to say the least.  

Here's Benidorm in case you don't know :)


I'm going to be working in a tri-lingual primary school, where the students learn Spanish, English and the local Valencian language, assisting the teachers in English lessons and also arts and crafts lessons for the youngest pupils.  I'm really looking forward to it!  I have spoken to the English teacher who has been an enormous help and a fantastic source of information and she seems great, and also the P.E teacher who has kindly offered me a room in his flat!  I'm incredibly lucky.  I have heard many horror stories about people trying to find a flat for their year abroad and either getting there and the place doesn't exist, or the landlord is a nightmare or the flat is a mess!  

Luckily it seems I have landed on my feet and although I am terrified about moving abroad I'm also so excited!  I'll be sure to keep you all updated on my adventures :)

Beth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment